The US Department of Justice has moved to reveal the Mar-a-Lago search warrant.
Trump himself could release the order immediately.
But the former president’s team is reportedly consulting outside counsel before making a decision.
Former President Donald Trump could unilaterally release the warrant that federal agents used to search for your resort and residence in Mar-a-Lago. But news reports suggest that Trump and his allies are still trying to decide whether or not to oppose the Justice Department’s motion to unseal the document and list of assets that were seized.
At a press conference on Thursday afternoon, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced he was moving to release the search warrant in light of the publicity surrounding the case. The judge who signed the order ordered the Justice Department to consult with Trump’s lawyers and tell the court by 3 p.m. Friday if the former president plans to oppose the release.
According to The New York TimesTrump allies are “discussing the possibility of challenging” the release of the documents and have “contacted outside counsel” to discuss the matter. CNN reported Thursday evening that the former president and his team “have not yet made a decision”. A fountain told him on the way out Trump’s team is considering challenging the motion to disclose the order. Both outlets reported that his team is consulting with outside lawyers.
William Jeffress, an attorney who previously represented former President Richard Nixon, told Insider that he would not object to a client wanting to publish the documents on their own, as is Trump’s right. But there are mitigating factors, he noted.
“As a defense attorney, I see no danger that the surrender of the items will prejudice his legal defense,” Jeffress said. “But surely it could undermine his effort in the media to characterize the search as unfounded or abusive.”
Details about what led up to the raid have been scant, with many Republican lawmakers demanding an explanation from the Justice Department after Trump carried out and publicized the search Monday. Before Garland’s announcement on Thursday, the The Justice Department and the FBI did not offer comment..
The lack of details fueled accusations by the former president and other Republicans that the raid was politically motivated. Calls for transparency continued even after Garland said he was moving to have the search warrant released.
“What I am looking for is the predicate for the search. Was the information provided to the judge sufficient and necessary to authorize a search of the former president’s home within ninety days of the midterm elections?” Sen. Lindsey Graham said in a statement provided to Insider. “I urge, indeed I urge, that the Justice Department and the FBI put their cards on the table as to why this course of action was necessary. Until that is done, suspicion will continue to grow.”
Garland also suggested Thursday that the move to release the order was in part to defend the actions of the FBI.
“I will not stay silent when your integrity is unfairly attacked,” he said. “The men and women of the FBI and Department of Justice are dedicated and patriotic public servants.”
Read the original article at Business Insider