The three-part documentary that followed the former president donald trump in the run-up to and after the 2020 election was released on Sunday, just two days before House January 6 committee established to hold your next public hearing.
Filmmaker Alex Holder and his team had access to Trump and members of his family during the final weeks of the campaign and the weeks surrounding the attack on January 6, 2021, for his “Unprecedented” series. Trump’s inner circle was interviewed about key moments, including when Trump learned that Joe Biden had called an election and when tested positive by covid
Holder’s crew was also filming at the Capitol on Jan. 6, and the series shows footage of Trump supporters crawling through broken windows to get into the building.
The Jan. 6 committee cited raw footage from interviews Holder conducted with Trump, then-Vice President Mike Pence, Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump and Jared Kushner, as well as footage from the attack on Capitol Hill. The committee also requested any video in which voter fraud or electoral integrity was discussed.
The panel’s next two public hearings, scheduled for Tuesday morning and Thursday night, are expected to focus on the pro-Trump mob that stormed Capitol Hill.
Representative Adam Schiff, D-Calif., a member of the committee, said last week on MSNBC’s “The Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell” that the committee is trying to “shed light on how that mob got there.”
Holder also testified before the committee behind closed doors in June.
In a scene from the third episode, Pence is shown on camera on January 12, 2021, looking at a cell phone and saying, “Excellent.” The filmmakers allege that he was responding to a draft resolution that called for Pence to seek the use of the 25th Amendment to remove then-President Donald Trump from office.
Pence’s spokesman questioned him on Sunday, telling NBC News that Pence was reacting to a confirmation that a letter from him had been sent to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi rejecting her attempt to invoke the 25th Amendment.
On January 12, 2021, NBC News reported that Pence had sent the letter to Pelosi.
According to the documentary, Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump and Pence all declined to discuss the Jan. 6 attack during their interviews for the series.
In the series, Trump says in an interview that there was “great anger in our country” on January 6 and that he will decide whether to run in 2024 “in the not-too-distant future.”
The documentary series can be streamed on Discovery+.