By Sarah N. Lynch
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Peter Navarro, a former adviser to then-President Donald Trump, has turned down a government offer to plead guilty to a count of contempt of Congress, the lead federal prosecutor in the case told a judge on Friday.
Last month, Navarro pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanor counts of contempt of Congress, after refusing to provide testimony or documents to the US House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on Capitol Hill.
At a status hearing Friday, US Attorney Elizabeth Aloi told US District Judge Amit Mehta about the plea offer Navarro had rejected.
Aloi said the department offered him to plead guilty to only one count. The settlement would also have required him to “comply with the committee’s January 6 subpoena to the satisfaction of the Justice Department.”
(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; editing by Jonathan Oatis)